Icons














Sunday, September 30, 2012

I have waited a long time for this: PRINCE!


I was driving home from the chiropractor a few weeks ago when this announcement came on the radio, PRINCE LIVE IN CHICAGO! What? How did I not know about this? The show was going to be in just a few weeks on September, 24th, which happens to be our wedding anniversary.



 Prince had booked a last minuet show and I was not going to miss it. Even though I was 5 minuets from home, I called my husband immediately. I was so excited. I told him all about it in my overly excited high pitched 13 year old girl voice and his response was not at all what I was hoping for. He was not excited at all. We already had big plans for our anniversary which included a Ben Harper concert on the 27th. He did however give me his blessing to go to the concert on our anniversary without him. Next phone call, Melissa. We have had many great nights out that included the music of prince. Melissa is always up for a fun night out and her response was exactly what I was hoping for.



 Now I just had to figure out the best way to get tickets. We were going to be in California the day that tickets went on sale which wouldn't have been that big of a deal except that they went on sale right as we had to head to the airport for our return flight. The show was at the United Center and I was not going to settle for tickets in the 300 section like I did for The Rolling Stones years ago. I was able to go on-line and try and get tickets the minuet that they went on sale and of course all that I could get was the 300 section. I passed on those tickets in hopes that I could find better on StubHub. Prince added two more shows. This was great for me because now I could go on another night other than my anniversary, and StubHub now had over 1,000 tickets. I found great tickets. They were the 1st row on the club level which was perfect for two girls with claustrophobia. I will be buying all of my future even tickets on StubHub, they are fantastic.


The day was finally here and I was so excited! This was the last show of his 3 nights in Chicago and I had all of his songs running through my head. I read mixed reviews about the first night, but I knew that I would love every minuet of his performance and I did. His 15 minuet version of Purple Rain rocked my world. White drapes and purple glitter/confetti dropped from the ceiling. This was how he closed the show, before one of two amazing encores.

After only a short pause, Prince returned to the stage and took a seat at the piano. The lights stayed very dark, and it was just Prince, his incredible voice and the piano. This man can sing. His voice sounds even better live. Encore #1 was something so special. You felt like you were in a small room with Prince serenading you. 


When he left the stage after his first encore you just knew that he would return again. The lights came on, the crowd started to thin and then a loud roar came from the fans on the floor. Prince was riding in on a glowing bicycle. He jumped back on stage, his entire band, back up singers, special guests and dancer joined him. They pulled up the crowd from the floor onto the stage and had a huge dance party celebration to end the night. Prince danced with the crowd and then rocked my world once again as he jumped onto the piano and danced on top of the piano as he continued to sing. The ending of the show was perfect. It left you with a happy heart and hope for a better future for our children. Prince's collaborated with a wonderful organization for this tour called Rebuild the Dream. Rebuild the Dream, in short, is working to rebuild our communities and make the world a better place. If you are interested, you can find out more about Rebuild the Dream here: http://www.rebuildthedream.com/blog/2012/09/18/why-prince-is-partnering-with-rebuild/


I hope that Prince doesn't wait another 6 years before he returns to Chicago. Next time he goes on tour, even if it is not local, I will be there. I am hoping for a large production in Vegas someday. If you ever have the opportunity to see Prince live, I highly recommend it.






No comments:

Post a Comment