Icons














Sunday, November 24, 2013

It's soup season. A vegetarian & non-vegitarian recipe.

Most of the cooking in our house is done by my husband. Why, because he has skills that I just do not have. There are many things that I can do in the kitchen, and a few things that I can make very well, but there are also things in the kitchen that I won't even consider, like cooking meat. Patrick loves to cook, but he would also like me to do a little more of the cooking. He grocery shops and cleans also. The cleaning is due to his compulsion. He will not sit down to eat until the kitchen is totally clean or at least very organized. I just don't work like that. I would do it, and I do help out, but he usually has everything all clean before I finish eating. A lot of the time we grocery shop as a family. It is just one of those things that we like to do together but we will also both run out individually to grab something that we need for dinner that night. 

I am in charge of all of the meal planning. There are many things that I do not eat. I am a pesco pollo vegetarian. I do not eat any red meat but I do eat chicken, turkey and fish on occasion. At the age of 11 I became a lacto vegetarian. I did not eat red meat, chicken or fish for about 15 years. I constantly have to deal with people trying to get me to eat red meat and it drives me crazy. It's never going to happen so leave me alone. So many people just don't understand vegetarianism. I am also currently living gluten free. I have been on and off gluten for the past few years and I just feel so much better when there isn't any gluten in my diet. It has been 1 month now and I'm going to do my best to continue to resist all foods with gluten. My husband has a loaf of banana bread from whole foods sitting on the counter. I wish he would eat it already so it stops staring at me. 


There are so many options out there and wonderful recipes that are both gluten free and vegetarian. It's soup season and soup is one thing that I do and I do well. This is a combination that we love that can be made vegetarian/gluten free & non-vegetarian but still gluten free for you meat eaters. 




Vegetarian/Gluten Free Version
Butternut & Vegetable Soup

Ingredients: 1.Vegetable Broth 2.Butternut Squash 3.Green Beans 4.Carrots 5.Celery 6.Spinach 7.White Beans 8. Onion, herbs & spices to your taste


Turkey Butternut Soup

Ingredients: 1.Chicken broth 2.Ground White Turkey 3.Butternut 4.Carrots 5.Celery 6.Spinach 7.Green Beans 8. Onion, herbs & spices to your taste


That's it, so simple. That isn't so much of a recipe as it is a list of ingredients. I don't measure any of this so I can't give you exact measurements but it is a great combo. My daughter (22m) loves it, both ways. We strain hers so there is very limited broth so she doesn't make a huge mess. My husband also strains his sometimes and throws it over rice which is a great way to make it a new meal with leftovers. Enjoy! Stay warm. 









1 comment: