Icons














Monday, April 25, 2011

Mexico - Arrival

We have safely landed. Thank goodness that is over. What a turbulent flight. Now we must go through customs which I found to be very entertaining. Some ladies were taking pictures in the customs line and they got yelled at. They do not mess around at customs. Patrick is always making jokes so I was fully prepared for the customs worker to not let us into the country. Thankfully when it was our turn to approach the desk he kept quiet. We were cleared to go to baggage and pick up our luggage, then we had to get cleared with our luggage which thankfully again was a breeze. When boarding the plane at O'hare I was the lucky lady who got to be randomly searched. I guess my smiling face looked suspicious. Now we were off to pick up our rental car. The car rental attendant who walked us out of the airport and waited with us for the car rental shuttle was adorable. He was local, had a big smile and was maybe 4ft tall. I loved him. I spoke my very best Spanish with him, which was very entertaining. I took French in high school.  Sadly my new best friend and I had to part as the shuttle picked us up to go to the rental car lot which was a 1 min. ride. I would have preferred to walk if I knew where we were going. The shuttle driver was not as friendly. Renting a car always seems to be a long process and I learned that renting a car in Mexico is an even longer process. Finally, paper work is over and we are given a car. Not the car we were hoping for, but it will do. We flew into Cancun, so now we have about an 1hr and 1/2 drive to Papa's house in Akumal. Just as I began to relax and close my eyes for a sec., I opened up my eyes to about 20 men with machine guns at a check point. This is not a sight that I am used to seeing and it terrified me. They had a bunch of cars pulled over that the were raiding, and their guns were gigantic. Thankfully we were waved right through, and I was happy to have that behind us. Once we were out of Cancun we only passed another small check point in Playa Del Carmen. It is nice to know that they are looking out for our safety, but machine guns are always unsettling to me. The drive was one main road and it was very simple. We even found my dads hidden jungle road with ease. I called my dad and he opened up the gates for us to enter. Heidi, my dads doberman, and my dad where their to great us at the gate. Ahhh vacation has begun.

Papa's Mexico Jeep & Villa



















No comments:

Post a Comment