Icons














Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ellie-Mae & Pregnancy

In the beginning of my pregnancy Ellie-Mae was a little unsure about how she felt about the whole thing. She is a hound dog and her sense of smell is very impressive to say the least. I'm pretty sure that she knew that I was pregnant before I did. She started acting out like a toddler who just got the news that her parents were having a new baby. I was really concerned that we were going to have a difficult 9 months together.


 I had/have no doubt that she is going to be amazing with the baby. Claire, our neighbor and friends 2 year old daughter is Ellie's very best friend. They love to play together. Claire is fearless and has always gone right in for kisses and hugs. Claire goes right for Ellie's mouth sharing her outdoor toys and feeding her sticks. Ellie patrols the neighborhood and is always on guard around Claire's house. If anyone that Ellie doesn't recognize pulls in their driveway, Ellie goes crazy. Not always the reaction that we are looking for considering that all of the guests are wanted, but it's nice to know that Ellie is looking out for her. It may be different when the baby is ours and is living in the house full time and receiving a lot of our attention, but I anticipate Ellie being a wonderful big sister. 


When I was born my parents had 2 doberman who had 14 puppies. Greta, was the momma, and my protector. She stayed on guard at my bedroom door and under my crib. If you wanted to get to me, you had to get through her first. I loved her puppies and I thought that I was one of them. 


Things quickly turned around with Ellie and my pregnancy once I started to get really sick, which happened pretty fast and has not gone away. Ellie has been so loving and supportive. I have had to spend many days in bed, and Ellie is right there with me taking care of me. At night she falls asleep in my arms spooning the other side of my pregnancy pillow. She eventually makes her way down to the end of the bed, but always keeps constant contact with me. Most nights she places her paws against my feet. When Patrick goes to work in the morning, she moves into his spot in bed. We enjoy a couple of more hours of sleep and then she rolls over into my arms for a belly rub. After her belly rub, she rests her head on my baby bump. 
Ellie-Mae laying between my legs resting against my baby bump


On the days that I am sick in bed, she stays there with me and gives me constant comfort. The many times that I have had to run to the bathroom to throw up, she has run with me and been there to soothe me. When I'm feeling overwhelmed and so terribly sick that I start to cry, she licks the tears from my face and snuggles me until I start to laugh. 


On a very sick day. Don't I look pretty! Ellie was literally hugging me in bed for hours.


I feel very blessed and grateful that we have Ellie-Mae in our life. Dogs are a true blessing and it amazes me every day at how much they truly enrich our life. 


On a sad note, My friend April lost her amazing dog today. Anyone who has lost a dog knows how difficult and sad it is to lose such an important member of the family. My thoughts are with April and her family today as they say goodbye to Chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment