Icons














Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Welcome to the world Delilah - Part 3



We are now at around hour 18, and I am exhausted. The nurses continue to come into the room about every 15 minuets. The next time the nurse checks me, I have now progressed to 3cm. This is the best news that I have heard in days. They continue to up my pitocin and check in on me. From time to time they move my body and don't say much. I know from the night before that when they do that, it means that the baby's heart rate is dipping again. We have been told over and over that this is not anything to worry about, and her heart rate comes right back up. 


All of a sudden my Dr. came walking in. I assumed that they called him and told him that I was at 3cm and he decided to come right in. I looked at him with so much excitement and I give him a big smile and said "are you excited?, I'm excited"! He looked at me like I was a crazy person and put on his serious face, which I never see from him. He sat down at the edge of my bed. He tells us that the baby is having a hard time and we are going to have to do an emergency c-section. Now my room is packed with nurses and all kinds of equipment is being brought in. They prepped my room for delivery, and also prepped the operating room and called for another Dr. to assist. 


I was completely exhausted at this point and so disappointed. To top things off, my epidural was wearing off and I was getting crazy contractions. All of a sudden I was fully dilated and the baby was coming out. My Dr. looked at me and asked if I wanted to try one push to see if the baby could handle it. I gave it my all, and the baby loved it. Her heart rate was back up, and I was determined to push my baby out as fast as possible. 


The mood completely changed in the room. Patrick was holding one of my legs, and an adorable nurse named Nikki was holding my other leg, my Dr. was in position, and there were at least five other nurses cheering me on. I was completely silent, and focused on my breath. With each contraction, I would take three deep breaths and give three of my best pushes. I was suddenly full of energy and excitement, and not in any pain at all. I remember saying that the baby felt like a fish swimming out of me. Within five contractions, Delilah was out. 


They placed Delilah on my chest and the first thing that I said was "I'll do that again". My Dr. was in shock by the turn of events and at how calmly and quickly I pushed the baby out. I think that it had a lot to do with years of yoga and meditation. I also think that I was due for one part of this pregnancy and birth to be easy, and the delivery was the easiest and best part of it all. 


Welcome to the world Delilah May



No comments:

Post a Comment