Icons














Monday, June 10, 2013

A lesson in Kindness

We don't go to church. I don't think that there is anything wrong with going to church, it's just not for us. I am very spiritual. If I were to categorize my beliefs, I would say they are a mix of Buddhist, Hindu and moral beliefs. I don't judge what works for others. At least I do my best not to. I was baptized catholic, I had my communion and confirmation. I studied world religions in college and throughout life, I found what works for me.

No matter what you believe, I think it's good to check in with yourself and take a good look at yourself from time to time. We teach our children very basic stuff to guide them to be the best that they can be and to be good to others. Behaviors that we remind them of on a daily basis over and over again. 

Examples:

*Treat others as you would want to be treated
*Be Nice
*Say your sorry
*Don't hit
*Share
*Think for yourself, don't follow the crowd, if Sally jumped off a bridge would you?
*Say please and thank you
*Acknowledge people, say hello and goodbye

You get the point. Very simple stuff and behaviors. We spend our days and years repeating these simple morals and manners to our children but as adults do we practice what we preach? I have noticed that we expect more from our children then we expect from each other as adults. After becoming adults, have we all just been let down so many times that we all just lose hope in humanity and eventually go with the they don't care so why should I attitude?  I value family and friendships. I want to do my best to be a great example for our children. 

Trust me, I have had my fair share of ups and downs in life. I'm not perfect, I have my moments. I have been let down and I have let people down. I expect a lot from people. Some say too much, but I don't expect anymore than I give. I think that children can teach us so much about being kind, loving and generous to each other. Maybe we should all listen closely to the words that we tell our children and let them be our role models. 

2 comments: