Icons














Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sugar Detox

Sugar and I have had a long standing love affair. We are about to take a break and maybe even end our love affair for good.

Six months after having Delilah, I was still holding on to a ridiculous amount of baby weight. Baby weight that I may not have gained if sugar wasn't the only thing that I could eat that wouldn't make me sick while pregnant. Over the nearly 1 year process of trying to conceive Delilah, I found comfort in sugar. 

From August until November of last year, I strictly followed the Ideal Protein plan. In 90 days, I lost 40 lbs. The plan is very strict and some people thought that I was crazy for doing it. I felt the best that I have felt in  a long time while on the plan. It eliminates all sugars, even fruit, carbohydrates, nuts and dairy. Even certain veggies like carrots that are high in sugar. The first week was the only week that was painful for me. It is amazing what your body goes through during a detox. The 4 day headache was one of the worst I have ever experienced and I am a migraine sufferer. 

Thanksgiving week was my last week on the plan. I had reached my 1st goal, and to be honest, I wanted to have Thanksgiving dinner. We were also getting ready to start trying for another baby and you absolutely can not follow the plan while trying for a baby. My Dr reminded me of that many times. I needed to be off the plan for 3 months before trying to conceive so Thanksgiving was the perfect time to end. 

Most people said that I would gain it all back after going off the plan. Well, it has been 6 months, and I have not gained 1 lb. I actually lost 5 additional lbs shortly after going off of the plan. I learned a lot about food, myself and my body throughout the process. I have been frustrated lately because I would like to be back on the plan. Each month that passes that I am not pregnant I think, I could still be following my Ideal Protein plan. 

I have found myself hitting the candy again to deal with each passing month that there is not a baby growing inside me. I will not do this to myself again. Sugar might make me feel better at the time, it's really my only vice, but it makes me so sick in the end.  

So, this time around I am going to deal with this much better. Tomorrow, I will be sugar free again. I expect to feel awful for the next few days as the sugar leaves my body, but it is so worth it in the end. 

I'm sure I will be crying over my daughters blueberries & raspberries in the morning. The thing that I missed most last time around was fruit. I quickly got over candy and I'm sure it will be the same this time around as long as my husband cooperates and does not bring anything tempting into the house. 

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment